Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Adventure Final

I can't begin to describe how incredible the Yukon Quest was. I can say that it has quite seriously changed the situation i found myself in before, and put a permanent smile on my face.

I'd get into describing everything that happened, but Josh is already doing that for me on his blog. He has a much better memory than me and is bringing up things that I realize now were very significant moments.

I still dream of yipping dogs and endless snow. Hikes and retreating dog booties. There's a few things that Josh hasn't mentioned yet, so I'll get to those.

I spent four days in Fairbanks. It's such a beautiful city. The Chena River runs through it, and it doesn't hurt that it is where shoes go to heaven. My god the shoe shopping they had. I went crazy. I bought a pair of ankle boots and flats for $30 American. With our dollar kicking their ass right now it was at least at par. Woohoo!

Mom and Nicole had a great time laughing imagining me hauling my shopping bags through the heart of Alaska, and that's exactly what i did. I was scared Sam and Josh would think I was a little ridiculous, but my purchases were so awesome that the slight embarrassment I felt subsided. They were good sports, loading and unloading my show boxes and Hot Topic bags. I didn't tell them what was in there, but filled one clear one with food so maybe they thought I was just overloaded, whch I was technically. With a hot pink plaid dress, tawnk top fit for the bar and shoes that I won't be able to wear till August. I was a happy, happy girl.

I lived off of Pizza Hut for almost the entire duration of my stay in Fairbanks. I found that people at Wendys were frightening and I only broke down and got Denny's on the last day. Livingt off of burgers from Wendys is like a dream come true for me really. If anyone reading this has been unfortunate enough to drive me through Calgary, you will know that it is hard to drive past one of the four Wendys in the city without me forcing you to stop or whimpering if you don't. But it turns out eating there day after day gets old.

The start was insane. That's the only way to describe it. I was so overwhelmed but I tried not to let it show. Josh was calm, so I did my best to stay that way too. I had no idea what to ask the mushers. I had just spoken to most of them two days before and my brain was not functioning. I focused on the photography, knowing I could do a colour piece and score some intervioews at Two Rivers later that afternoon.

Once we got kicked out of the start area, Josh and i warmed up at the News-Miner. I couldn't believe how big it was. The reception area was literally bigger than our entire office. Even the press could fit in there I bet. Crazy! I was all antsy and wanted to get my spot in the chute, so we headed down after I snacked on cheese and crackers - and got crumbs everywhere I will add.

I battled asshole photographers in the start chute who felt the need to lean out as far as they could. There's tons of pctures floating around of me practically laying in the middle of the trail to get around other photographers. Here is one:

Notice me in the brown coat bitterly trying to get around Brian Webb....wh was taking photos on his iPhone. wtf?

After the start, I headed back to my hotel for awhile, then Josh and I went to the first checkpoint at Two Rivers. Rather uneventful. Josh and I began to get to know each other on the hour-ish drive each way. We did our first on trail interviews, then went back to Fairbanks for our last sleep in a real bed for awhile. 

While Josh says he was tired and swears it was warm coming into Mile 101, I would like to inform you that it was infact FREEZING COLD. I am a B.C. wuss when it comes to weather. My adversity to northern temperatures faded long ago when I moved to beautiful B.C. It also didn't help that I jumped into the truck ill-prepared with my back pack full to the gills, but the actual clothing on my back was not fit for the weather. Coupled with getting up at 4 a.m. or whatever ungodly hour Josh phoned me at, the cold got to me quick.

When we jumped out of the truck at Mile 101, I began shaking immediately. I rushed to the truck box and put my boots on in the dark trying to fit my snowpants over sweatpants, and fumbled to get the right pair of socks that wouldn't slip down into the toe of my boots. Once I was geared up better, I headed for the checkpoint and settled in on a bench.

I'll cut this off here, getting lengthy!

Love,
Annalee.

No comments:

Post a Comment