Saturday, July 31, 2010

A new years resolution seven months later

It's more than halfway through 2010. And I didn't really make a resolution this year. Maybe it was just to be happier. Check. But today I drove up to the Athabasca Falls, a beautiful waterfall at 23 kilometres outside of Jasper. I didn't enjoy myself though, because there were 14 million tourists there, all stumbling around in my way.
When Josh and I were on our trip, we camped at the Colorado National Monument. It was amazing. It was so quiet and awe-inspiring, save for a couple of Germans blasting classical music. There were moments when we sat high up on one of the sandstone cliffs, not speaking. It was the perfect day.

The next stop on our trip was the Arches National Park. I had looked it up before we left, and was really excited to see the natural arches formed by erosion. We had an awesome night in Moab where we camped at a private campground with a pool. I cooked some steak (which Josh was extremely happy about) and we had a nice midnight swim and hot tub. It was lovely.

The next morning I made some eggs, and we had left over barbecue chicken calzone. Also yummy. Then we headed up to the Arches park, and realized we were one of thousands who had the same plan that day. The park was beautiful, but the short walks up to the insane arches were full of people, and screaming kids. It made me grumpy and we weren't able to enjoy it as much as the national monument.

What I'm saying is that I really love being alone in places where you can just be quiet and enjoy it. I want to be able to do that again. Therefore, my middle of the year resolution is to put some miles on my running shoes Josh made me buy. They really are too white.

Love,
Annalee.

No comments:

Post a Comment