Thursday, April 29, 2010

Arms race

I got some more new music last night, I must report. I downloaded Millencolin's 2009 album Machine 15, and it is AWESOME. 

I have always been a huge Millencolin fan since the days of being forced to listen to punk music by my brother. They've always clung to the edge of pop punk, while maintaining good old fashioned punk credibility and something a little better than the three standard power cords. Case in point on this album, are the two acoustic tracks, Machine 15 and Farewell my Hell (which I believe is from a previous album). Farewell starts with a beautiful acoustic riff that is reminicent of Greg Graffin's solo folk album. Beauty. I'm really into punk gone acoustic these days, speaking of Greg Graffin. Bad Religion's album from 2008 had a ton of awesome acoustic bits. 

Greg Graffin - He has a doctorate in awesomness.

I really loved Sorrow acoustic. It's first of all one of my favourite Bad Religion songs of all time, and second, the original punk track suits an acoustic one very well. The up and down kind of beat to the guitars is an amazing driving song, and Graffin's voice can really be repeated by no one. I discoverd its success as a driving song while journeying to Fairbanks and back. It kept me awake, which acoustic songs aren't usually known for. 

But back to Millencolin (I have the attention span of a hummingbird), this album is just awesome. Every track is classic Millencolin, they haven't strayed from their pop punk style one bit, as bands tend to do these days.

COUGH COUGH AFI! COUGH; sorry about that. Something in my, uh, throat....

Machine 15's single Detox does ply more into the mainstream crowd with its up-beat tone, but I forgive them because they are cute and Swedish. Although we all know I am a sucker for a good pop song, so who am I to call them out for trying to get a few more fans. All I'm saying, is that it's the only change from an otherwise steady punk rock album, and it's kind of refreshing really.

I hope the trend of punk artists adding a few acoustic tracks as extras on their album continues, because I love it. 

I got some Butch Walker on my iPod finally, so hopefully I will be able to advance past Letters and Sycamore Meadows in the next few days. 

Love,
Annalee.

No comments:

Post a Comment